Friday, April 3, 2009

Good Days and Bad Days

So, I played a big ole April Fool´s joke on myself Wednesday (even though I didn´t even realize what day it was until the afternoon). I woke up on the wrong side of the bed and with a mindset that it was just going to be a tough day.

Needless to say, it was a self'fulfilling prophecy as it ended up being one of the roughest teaching days I have had so far. I guess what really bothered me is that I feel like I have done a really good job so far with being patient, dealing with issues with students after class, and generally recognizing when a class is going array and steering it back on course.

On Wednesday, though, I just felt like I snapped a couple of times and could really feel the frustration bubbling to the surface. I know those type of days are bound to happen, but I am definitely going to try in the future to be aware of my own moods from the outset of the day and realize that it will take extra work and focus to handle what might be a long day to push through. And after having these issues on Wednesday, I do think I did a bit better on Thursday, when I woke up also a little out of sorts, but really tried to have patience both with myself and the students. My classes did not go perfectly, but I didn´t give out any snap punishments and at least turned those curve balls that came my way into singles if not home runs (by the way, I cannot believe that the baseball season starts this weekend - in some ways it feels like it has been super short and in others super long since the last season ended. And it blows my mind to think the yankees and mets will be opening it up in different stadiums. Someone please go and send me some pictures - though I will be super jealous).

Oh, on a sports-related note, this past Sunday Peru, who cannoty make the World Cup, played Chile and lost 3 - 1. The defeat definitely hurt national pride and there was even a movement to boycott the national team´s next game because they had played so badly. Ouch.

1 comment:

Bonde said...

Hey, don't feel bad that you had a bad day and snapped at the kids. We all do that once in a while. What I would suggest that works well for me when I'm on my last string is having a conversation with the kids about their days. I just have everyone get in a circle and we talk about anything that might come up. Sometimes it takes a good portion of the class, but we all get rid of anything that might be bothering us, then class is more productive. The kids are usually more understanding for my mood also. Just a though.