Sunday, March 29, 2009

My Weekend

I just felt an urge while I am on the internet a bit to mention that I have been doing a ton of reading and movie watching down here. I think it comes from having a decent amount of down time and no tv or internet that is easily accessible. I don´t want to make it seem like that is all I do, but it is a big and enjoyable part of life down here.

Some books I have read or am reading:
Autobiography of Bertrand Russell (kinda boring, but I finished it)
The Death of Artemio Cruz by Carlos Fuentes
La casa de los espiritus by Isabel Allende
Mi planta de lima-naranja by some Brazilian dude
The White Man´s Burden (my bro sent it down)
Three Junes (I forget the author)

Some movies I have seen down here:
The Reader (I really didn´t like the love story part in the beginning but it is interesting)
The Boy in the Striped Pajamas (A sad, sad, sad Holocaust tale)
Blindness (not nearly as good as the book, but I thought some of it was real good)
The Case of Benjamin Button (not a fan really at all - especially of the stupid hummingbird symbolism)
Slumdog Millionaire (I thought it was pretty good - especially for the window I thought it kind of offered into a world I know nothing about)
Also, some El Salvadorian film about a kid during the civil war and the movie is really really good, but our copy down here is fried halfway through. So, if you figure out what movie I am talking about, please do not ruin it.

No comments: