Wednesday, February 24, 2010

So What Was I Up to in February?

Well, it´s been a restful, busy, exciting and fun-filled month that has left me ready to start the new school year on Monday with ganas and committment.
The relaxation started on the silent retreat in Arequipa. I enjoyed the five days in silence with good food, lots of reading material, the opportunity to go for a little run each day, and really tasty coffee in the morning. The Jesuit who led the retreat did a great job of offering thirty minute talks with further reading and then just letting us go off and digest and reflect. Two particular Bible passages really stuck out to me (and although I usually only take much interest in the Bible as a metaphorical or storytelling work). The first one is on Love and is from Paul´s letter to the Corinthians:

If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

The other passage I really liked speaks more to how I view humanity. Specifically, I feel like all of my experiences in life have taught me that we share so much in common as people, despite all our differences. I know it sounds like a cliche, but I cannot help but strongly feel it down here in all my positive interactions we people so different from myself. It is also from Corinthians:

12The body is a unit, though it is made up of many parts; and though all its parts are many, they form one body. So it is with Christ. 13For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, slave or free—and we were all given the one Spirit to drink.

14Now the body is not made up of one part but of many. 15If the foot should say, "Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. 16And if the ear should say, "Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. 17If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? 18But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. 19If they were all one part, where would the body be? 20As it is, there are many parts, but one body.


21The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!" 22On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor. And the parts that are unpresentable are treated with special modesty, 24while our presentable parts need no special treatment. But God has combined the members of the body and has given greater honor to the parts that lacked it, 25so that there should be no division in the body, but that its parts should have equal concern for each other. 26If one part suffers, every part suffers with it; if one part is honored, every part rejoices with it.

Alright, enough semi-proselytizing from me. But I thought about a lot of interesting aspects of life, my relationships with others, and my year that I have left here (I filled like 10 pages in my journal with really little writing).

Ok, so from there we went travelling (with most of our trips being 10ish hours and on overnight buses - though thankfully nothing too bad happened on the buses besides some very smelly and sweaty rides, some sore backs the next day, and some arrivals at dawn while the sleepy cities were just starting to wake up).

Trujillo is a beautifully designed city, while much colonial architechture and striking solid and bright colors. It´s Plaza de Armas is a nice and quiet place to hang out, though the sun was oppresive when we were there and the police would shoo us away from every spot in the shade other than the benches that we found. We also visited the beach there (Huanchaco) and spent a very restful afternoon swimming in the water, getting some good food (Pescado Saltado, which is basically like a stiry fry of fish, peppers and onions served over fried potatoes), and seeing the famous caballo boats the fishermen use (https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjcvzsWJoAVu_dNGh7Xs7I62UrWGH2Gg9rQ0oVNSQCQ08ipFvRt-P41dK_e5RXQdHZbslAja1gonNvC_rrYOjWiL_onsGUodC6RfiU7CzZLjDyGst0Mmlzma9NHI2WG7Txl0Tk0ORIz6fk/s400/100_5346.jpg)

From there, we went to Huaraz (in the northern highlands between the Cordillera Blanca and the Cordillera Negra), where we found ourselves on Fat Tuesday. Though we did not participate much in the parties that were going on for this pre-Lent celebration, we could not avoid the giant street water fight that took place.

Though I know this comparison is a little dramatic, it was like being in a harmless street war zone. Just trying to get to a place to eat lunch and then a tour office to ask about prices, we had to hide around corners, be constantly aware of who had buckets, who was lurking on rooftops, and always ready to sprint quickly away. There were brigades of youths roaming the streets ready to toss water or throw water balloons at you. Multiple times our little group of five American Jesuit volunteers had to rapidly disperse when we heard the war cry of ¨Gringos¨shouted from a group of these pseudohooligans. While sitting and eating lunch, we heard a police siren that had us worried until we saw a massive pack of probably around 200 youths of all ages go running by in the street in search of a refill station. In the end, it was a blast.

We also spent some time in Lima, and I am developing a good sense of some of the main parts of the capital city. I soak in its hustle and bustle and cannot help but enjoy the people watching and interactions that develop out of being in a true city.

For instance, while riding on a bus (and bus rides there just among main parts of the city can take thirty to forty five minutes), a young kid sitting next to me just began to talk to me. It turns out that he is 16 years old and while studying for the University tests and finishing up High School, he is also training and trying out for Cienciano (the professional soccer team from Cusco). We had a real pleasant little talk, shared across cultures and languages, he helped me out with where I was going, and I got off the bus with a smile on my face and a good vibe in general. Little moments like that are wonderful to experience down here.

It makes me happy even right now just to think that I still have a lot of those moments to go over the next year here. And I will be sharing them!

No comments: