Wednesday, June 16, 2010

World Cup Fever

So, I´ve been teaching all my classes the meaning of fever as I have clearly come down (along with a true case of throat nastiness) with some World Cup fever. It is very exciting to be in a place where all the kids and teachers are so excited that they find every little moment and way to watch what they can (I had some kids today during recess run into the room I was teaching and then hold a cord up in the air for 15 minutes - for some reason that made the TV work - to watch just a little of the Spain and Switzerland game).

I personally have been sacrificing sleep to get up at 5:30 to run before the early game and have made some grand and somewhat clever plans to work it into my own classes (especially since the next United States game will be during my fourth and fifth year class). These include having kids announce the game, do exercises using the past tense with passages about what has happened, and teaching the song Wavin the Flag (which I have also become addicted to). I saw one of the primary teachers I work with teaching about conflict resolution using a giant picture of Zidane´s headbutt from four yeard ago. Pure brilliance. Anyway, I am open to any and all ideas - I LOVE HELP - to incorporate this even more and spread my fever.

Oh, and I watched the entire game against England this past Saturday with a mixed group of American high school kids (a volunteer group from Arizona was down building a house), their host families, and our neighbors. It was so exciting to share that with everyone while eating lots of popcorn and canchita (basically popped corn kernels, but of the bigger, more solid type). The Peruvians have definitely taken on the United States to root for (despite my students jokes that Slovenia is going to win on Friday) and in turn, I have taken on Chile as a new team after being invited to wake up and breakfast at 6:30 this morning with our music teacher/pastoral director extrodinaire.

Go Team US!

No comments: