Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Rights, Rules, and Responsibilities

I like starting out my classes in the beginning of the year with a discussion of how the classroom is like any society. As citizens of the class, the students have responsibilities to comply with, and in turn recieve their rights. A citizen maintains certain rights (say, to walk the streets freely) because they comply with their responsibilities (respecting private property). When they break or do not comply with the responsibilities (say, robbing a bank), they lose their rights (can be arrested).
I understand that it may be a little simplified, but it works in relation to the classroom. Rights such as to ask questions or to participate in class may be lost in the case of not complying with important responsibilities as raising your hand or paying attention. I always add in a little section on rules too in order to stress some key non-negotiable issues (respect, etc).
In the third week on school (but the first full week since we started off with half days and meetings), I am starting to see how this same scheme can apply to my own role as a teacher. This year at Miguel Pro, I feel like I have more rights - I have the right to be listened to as an equal teacher (last year, it often seemed pointless to mention my ideas in a meeting)
, or the right to feel appreciated (which is new after last year) - that come with a coinciding rise in responsibilities.
In my tutoria, for instance, I have lots of different committees, routines, meetings, and events to organize now at the beginning of the year. Additionally, as Miguel Pro has more celebrations and events for its students (for instance, a reconciliation evening and an early-morning stations of the cross hike to follow), I have to juggle and help organize more outside-the-classroom activities.
Yesterday, I definitely felt a little overwhelmed by all the balls I had up in the air, but today have reached a better state of peace. I enjoy being busy and the feeling that comes with being accomplished and checking off each item on a to do list (whether it be a mental or written one). For that reason, I forsee this year as being more challenging, but in the end, more rewarding as well. I have started off very organized (I have even planned out the entire bimester´s development in a number of classes) and need to continue to stay ahead of the wave of responsibilities. I mean, as a good law-abiding, making-people-happy citizen, I really do love those rights.

2 comments:

Camila said...

Hey there! Kira and I would like to join you in July when you go to Machu Picchu. I think Pacho is available as well if we go early in July as he is off to Scotland Aug 1-30. When are you going?

Unknown said...

Hey, Gabe,
Really appreciated this post and your description of how you handle this stuff with your class. Gave me some ideas for my Sr. Hi Sunday
School class.

Have enjoyed so much reading your blogs. Keep it up, and best wishes this year.