Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Positive Moments

I realized that by spacing my last two blog entries apart so much, it might have seemed like that was two typical weekends. All of that happened over four days, however, that are the biggest fiesta days of the year here because it was the celebration of Tacna´s return to Peru.

Anyhow, I figured I should write about something maybe a little more touching. My school - Santa Cruz - has many issues of control and discipline (it was decided recently that they would hold out kids who came more than five minutes late of the first two hours of class while they wrote ¨I should not arrive late¨ five hundred times), but when there are serious issues at stake, it and the people in charge can surprise me. When it was discovered (though honestly I am not entirely sure) that a girl in first year of secondary was being sexually abused by her father-in-law and her mother did not know, the secondary teachers acted swiftly. They brought in the mother, met with her, discussed how to address it with the authorities, met with her and the man involved in this, and generally just seemed to care sincerely for the best interests of this girl.

I mention this story because shortly after I found out about all this, I saw her one weekend on a crowded bus. She was working as the assistant who opens and shuts the door, who collects fares, and who has to manage everything while the driver drives. She told me that she does this every weekend on Saturday and Sunday. I put it altogether in my head and realized that what I had taken as an attitude of not caring and being lazy when she was in my section for the first semester (she failed and was moved down) was in reality just probably an overwhelming mix of emotional and physical demands. I mean, what 12 to 13 year old can be expected to work all weekend, go through the issues she was facing at home and still have enough time and energy and focus to do what is expected of her in school (much less that of a class like English that is fewer hours and less intense than some others).

Since then, I have made an effort to reach out to her more (not to pry or try to get her to open up, but just to chat and joke), and she definitely seems more cheerful and more involved. I honestly do not know how everything has been settled at home, but I do know that everytime I get a chance to talk a bit with her, she always has a smile on her face. And that gives me more life too.

And the afro dance classes I started taking early last week are super fun (even though I am the only guy other than the teacher). I really enjoy moving my hips a lot, though I have not yet mastered the moving your feet, getting some hip twist and shimmying with your shoulders all at one. Here is a little clip if you are interested in what its like (though not so good quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv8WDNHfVNE&feature=related

No comments: