Friday, February 20, 2009

Latin American Bureacracy (Oh My!)

So I learned a lot this week about Peruvian Bureacracy - and yes, I think it deserves the big old capital B. Basically, even though school starts on March 2nd, the teachers,since they are not technically contracted, had to go through this whole crazy system of taking a standardized test and then worrying about whether someone who scored better on it would take their job.

While I still have time - because I have to run - I just want t mention that the test is basically a bizzaro version of the SATs in Spanish with sections on local history and law that are real real specific. One of those questions was like, what is the number of the law that says this about education or according to this random theorist, what should 5th graders know. Everyone takes the same test and all the non contracted jobs are decided by placement order from the test (U went to see this process take place and it was real real bizzare as they call people up to the front of this big room and they just pick jobs off of a list). Also, some oif the math/logic questions were like this: Who is Ernesto´s fathers´s son? or Which of these coins would you not use to buy food?Then of course there is hours and hours of paperwork - just real nonsensical to me personally.

On another fun random note, I have been going a lotto the step class that this woman in Habitat runs out of her house. It is possibly ne of the most challenging phyiscal routines I have ever done (and I say that only partly in jest). She is this super intense, but also very interesting, way of sdoing things while absolutely blasting (you can hear it all over the neighborhood) techno pop remixes. It also takes place in her living room, she dresses up in spandex, she yells ¨vamos chicos, vamos¨quite often, and the normal slate f usual suspects is us gringos and a randm array osf older women from the neighborhood who really do their own thing because they cant keep up.

It´s amazing and I promise photos.

No comments: